Giblets

There is nothing I like more than handling giblets and raw chicken at 7am.
I'm sorry-that was a typo.
There's actually a huge long list of stuff I'd rather do at that time of day. Mostly I'd rather be in bed.

Monday morning I woke up early and put together a crock pot dinner for myself and a certain someone to enjoy that night after work. For a while I have really wanted to make a whole roast chicken because it seems like the epitome of domestic goddess-ness. But I really couldn't be motivated to cook a giant chicken for just little ol' me. And unfortunately roasting a whole chicken requires a little bit of time and patience, which I very little of when I get home from work at 6PM. Plus I'm usually already hungry at that time.

Enter crock pot. Did you know you can roast a whole chicken in your crock pot? However even with that beloved pot I still had to get up a little earlier and, you  know, clean out the bird.

After I removed the giblets (gross, yuck, ew) I followed this Ina Garten recipe for lemon and garlic roast chicken. She obviously has tons of time to cook her chicken in the oven for an hour and a half but I simply prepped mine in the same manner, popped it in the fridge and then asked my lucky roommate, who was off work for the day, to put it in the crock pot and turn it on for me later in the morning.

My favorite part of crock pot meals is walking into my house after it's been cooking all day.
The house smells like a home.

I decided to put the chicken in the oven for a few minutes to brown up the skin since crock pots don't do that. For the side dish I also fixed another recipe I had pinned, roasted summer squash. I modified the recipe and heated the oven up to 425 and cooked it for just about 15 minutes instead of half an hour. Ain't nobody got time for that.

And for dessert I made peach cobbler with fresh peaches. It was a combination of The Vanilla Tulip and Paula Deen's recipes.

I could never be a food blogger because I completely did not take a single picture of any part of this meal. Fortunately no one really seems to be that interested in blog posts on Fridays, especially during the summer, so I'm not too ashamed. The only evidence of my culinary success is the chicken salad I made with the leftovers and a certain someone who thinks I can cook!

2 cups cooked chicken 
2 cups halved green grapes
2 hard boiled eggs (whites only)
couple stalks of celery diced

1/2 cup of mayo
pepper

Comments

Post a Comment